What a day… is it Wednesday yet??? I was up like a manic thing today, I seem to have found the motivation I was looking for yesterday! Out in the garden (blue sky, sunshine and a bitterly cold breeze!) in my workout stuff and walked about to RH Fitness’ Walkie Talkie where a lovely girl called Baking El told us the difference between Slimming world and the RH Fitness calorie deficit. So you have to exercise more than you eat and it should be more sustainable in the longer term. By 7.30am I’ve already done more than 3.5k steps!!
The home button on my iPhone just stopped working…. nothing would shift it. Given I’ve just had the screen replaced the other day I’d be forgiven for thinking it was something to do with that??! So I called iBitz in Johnstone and he gave me an appointment at 12.30. So….. I have no phone…. what to do?!?! I walked Calaidh… no pics but you e seen millions so I need you to use your imagination here!!
I decided to start setting up and Overland & Borders web page. Of course…. on the laptop. So it’s very much a work in progress just now but I’m on it. I’d said yesterday about struggling to access my iCloud photos on my Microsoft laptop as they don’t make that kinda thing easy…. so the web page had some old pics until I can get that sorted. did I mention I have no working phone????????!! 🤯🤬😤🤦🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️
Up to the shop for 12.30 and it does not look good…… he is very silent and works on the phone right in front of me. I can tell he has no idea what’s wrong. Eventually he tries a brand new screen and the home button still doesn’t work. He says it’s common that they fail on iPhone 7. So to be fair, he sets me up with a screen home button but I’ll never have Touch ID again. I guess I’ll get over it.
When I get home we go online to see what else we can try to fix my perfect home button that’s not working…. and then the phone just died and won’t switch back on. That is until I’ve posted on FB, called my folks from Craig’s phone and messaged various other people to tell them of the trauma. Claire next door has EXACTLY the same phone sitting in a box in her house. Only then does my iPhone think it’s worth switching back on.
I’m in the process of setting Claire’s up now and working on the old one but I have no idea if this will publish. Bit of a waste of a day but at least we had time to deal with it.
So very sadly it’s now been reported that the UK now has the highest number of deaths of COVID-19 in Europe. This is despite us having been behind European countries and we should have been ahead of the curve to curb out number of deaths weeks before as we learned from Italy and Spain. But we were too slow to react. A huge rise of 693 has taken us to 29,427 and Italy now sit 29,315. Millions of people entered the UK in the 3 months before lockdown but only 273 were quarantined. Airlines are laying off as a result of being grounded for so long. Virgin Atlantic around 3,000… the UK economy is in its deepest decline in living memory. There’s still a lot of change to come.
Not many photos today but no phone means no camera!!
Poor Bhru isn’t feeling well this morning. The pups normally spill out from their room upstairs like bullets from a gun but Craig realised she hadn’t come down and went back up to get her. Wee soul.
Time for a coffee when we got back and I decided I am going to build a webpage for Overland and Borders. Craig showed me how to start and we both thought that would be me for the day! I’m having huge bother with my 41,160 photos and 1,663 videos. I have a huge iCloud storage plan but the phone seems full up and you can’t get stuff into the iCloud while the phone is full??? I have sat here on and off all day trying to free up space on my phone to get stuff to back up to the iCloud.
Had a lovely message from one of “my readers” if I can say that, she’s one of my neighbours!! 😬🤣 to say she got up, did her hair and make up and went out to the shops like she’d seen me do yesterday. Said she looks the best she’s looked in 6 weeks!! I’m so glad that writing this can help even in a small way.
Funny when I said today I’m looking for some motivation… the RH Fitness group that I’m a member of do a wee thing each day called Walkie Talkie where Rachel chats while she steps on the spot. Today’s chat was about Mindset so I joined in today for the first time. I just walked up and down the garden, round the house and listened to some of her motivation and it really helped. She says you have to want it for yourself and only YOU can make the difference. I do know all this but it really helps to hear it and let it sink in again… can highly recommend their fitness plan!
Had a lovely over the fence cuppa with Claire at 3. Always good to catch up in if only for a quickie on her tea break. Craig’s been on the phone to clients and I’ve been faffing with this phone thing on the computer and getting nowhere!!!!!!!!!!! It’s driving me insane!!!!! More insane…… 😆
“Only” 288 deaths in the last 24 hours which is the lowest increase since March. This takes the total to 28,734. One in 5 British workers are now furloughed which means the government are paying the salaries of 6.3 million people. There is an app that’s been created called COVIDSymtom Tracker
The NHS are now urging us to download a contact tracing app which will be used to track infections as restrictions on movement ease. It’s being trialled in the Isle of Wight at the moment. We’re due to find out more about lockdown easing measures towards the end of the week. Some countries have seen a spike in cases of COVID-19 as a result of lifting lockdown.
When a dog’s awake everyone’s awake…. bloody woofers. It’s 7.40am on a Sunday we’re woken by a bark and the first word out Craig’s mouth is… what time is Asda open? Ok…. so now I’m really awake. SHOPPING!!!!!!!!
Up, shower, hair wash, scrunched, eye liner on….. I am leaving the house yay!!!!!
So…. not gonna lie, my anxiety at the start of the shop was pretty high! I felt myself breathing heavily and I seem to have taken to talking to myself on the way round… I have a list… cannot think clearly, master the list and pen and the handheld scanner and my phone which at this point I think I need…. I also have the added slight pressure of Mr Avery waiting for me which crosses my mind as I hurtle through the clothing section desperate to miss something I might not be able to live without. It’s funny because when you actually get to a shop now you feel you need to make it worth your while and get everything as you can’t just pop back to Asda easily. So… as I said above the actual check out part is fantastic. The girl explains I could have used my phone instead of the handheld scanner. Makes sense but I was determined to use both 🤦🏻♀️🤷🏻♀️
The number of people who have died in UK hospitals, care homes and the wider community has “only” risen by 315 which seems a “good” reduction from the last few days. I’m very conscious that these are real people’s lives ending and yet we talk of them in numbers. The total UK deaths is now 28,446. They have confirmed that the lockdown has worked in slowing the virus. There doesn’t seem to be much other news today as I guess it’s a Sunday…
If anyone had told you at the start of 2020 that you would be told to stay in your house for 40 days you just never would have believed it….. it’s only a few months since we were all standing side by side in crowds, in shops, meeting each other with hugs & kisses. Now we go out for a walk or to the supermarket and we are all skirting around each other like a shark swimming through a sea of minnows.
I think in these last few days we have finally been feeling a bit of boredom… the weathers not been as good and I’m struggling to find the motivation to do stuff inside. That’s where the surprise myself with a task comes in. I had no intention whatsoever of doing the housework today and yet boom… blitzed, done. Only to finish the sun room and kitchen floor. Even cleaned windows!! If I’d gone to bed last night thinking I was gonna do the housework I’d have found a million other things to do but instead I just started pottering and went full head down cleaning mode!
Thankfully my neighbours supplies me with some wonderful lockdown content today….
I went to the Co-op in Beith this afternoon and felt like it was the first time that people didn’t seem to be so scared of each other. There’s still that funny thing that you think if you keep your head down and don’t make eye contact then you can pass each other less than 2m apart??!?? The Co is a small shop and it’s impossible to be 2m apart in some of the smaller aisles. They have tape marks on the floor 2m apart all the way round. The first 5 aisles have walk this way arrows… down the first up the second etc. Then in about the 5th of 6th aisle that disappears as it’s now a queuing aisle for the self service checkouts. I got to the top of this aisle expecting to walk down and my head melted…. what do I do?!? 🤦🏻♀️😬🤣 it goes to show you that 2m distancing isn’t always possible in shops like that. They’ve done away with the entrance and exit segregation at the door, it’s just a free for all. So I probably got too close to lots of folk as I walked round. Is there a complacency setting in as we’ve been shopping so many times and not caught anything therefore assume we’ll be ok?? Maybe an element of that.
I was desperate for a coffee and a scone so we had scones with butter and raspberry jam and they were lovely. The scones themselves were pretty rotten but the butter and jam was lovely 🥴❤️ so this was only a wee shop for dinner and tomorrow. Still cost me £75 for some reason.
After some chat on the Overland Bound group we realised we needed to run the diesel heater in the car to ensure that it doesn’t over carbon… I know it was better English than that… need to run the engine to charge the battery to run the heater.
Another 621 deaths yesterday taking our total to 28,131. Have to see what the next few weeks bring in terms of lockdown easing but have to watch it so that it doesn’t spike another load of deaths.
Wearing black the sun was really hot as I weeded the rockery. The old pond is empty just now and used as an ash pit from the fires so ignore the mess in that!! I weeded it all and then sat and had a coffee in the hot sun.
So I was volunteering with the Beith Trust again today. Nothing has ever come through the NHS first responder app. Have 5 houses to deliver to in the local area. Had a lovely chat with 3 of them today. So nice to hear about their live and hopefully give them a wee change during lockdown. One lady had the most beautiful Azalea bushes in her garden and she told me they were 50 years only and came from her parents house in Rowan Avenue, Beith. We had a good chat about the colours and looking after them.
They’ve advised a further 739 deaths in the last 24 hours which is inclusive of care homes. That takes the UK to 25,510. I e read about one wee girl who lost her Nana then her mum 4 days later as she’s asking her dad who’s next, him or her….. so very sad. I say that a lot. We have become immune to hearing these numbers now.
I think these last few days I’ve found some boredom has set in. I’ve done nothing because I’m so tired but equally the days are dragging. Think I’ll try and do a bit more tmro. The weathers looking up a bit over the next few days too which always helps.
Having a bit of a quiet day today 🥰 we did our Spanish lesson and took a wee family trip out to the Greenhouse and the Jeep!
I’ve been missing out one or two of my meds as I’d been feeling so zonked but trying to get the 15k steps in a day…. so I thought missing a wee one or two here and there would help increase the energy a bit. Hmmmmm yeah nice idea but I must still need them as for reason……. there’s a waterworks of tears today for no real reason! Women huh?!
Got my feet up in Grans chair. Bhru sleeping on me and this is where I’m gonna stay for now. 1,919 steps so far 😬
Changing this up a bit coz it’s RAINING!!!!!!! It’s ok.. I’m already brown enough to have been abroad for a month but it’s changing our whole lockdown routine a bit.
Its my Auntie Jac and Uncle Ewen’s 14th wedding anniversary today and they’ve made cards for each other… we’ve all kind of accepted a make do and mend culture like they did in the war. A Christmas card scrawled over with happy anniversary would have been considered an insult less than 6 weeks ago. I like these new relaxed rules…. I had typed there I like this new relaxed world but then that seems so insensitive given that so many people in the world are working like crazy to keep others safe… the NHS, caters, delivery guys, supermarkets, police, fire brigade etc. These support functions are the heroes in all this. They do not have a new relaxed world.
My friend Ronnie Forsyth sent me this wee funny this morning which I thought summed things up for us just now 😬🤣
UK RULES FOR COVID-19 LOCKDOWN
to clear up any confusion 🤷🏻♀️🤦🏻♀️🥴 (author unknown)
1. You MUST NOT leave the house for any reason, but if you have a reason, you can leave the house.
2. Masks are useless at protecting you against the virus, but you may have to wear one because it can save lives, but they may not work, but they may be mandatory, but maybe not.
3. Shops are closed, except those shops that are open.
4. You must not go to work but you can get another job and go to work.
5. You should not go to the Doctor’s or to the hospital unless you have to go there, unless you are too poorly to go there.
6. This virus can kill people, but don’t be scared of it. It can only kill those people who are vulnerable or those people who are not vulnerable. It’s possible to contain and control it, sometimes, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.
7. Gloves won’t help, but they can still help so wear them sometimes, or not.
8. STAY HOME, but it’s important to go out.
9. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarkets, but there are many things missing. Sometimes you won’t need loo rolls but you should buy some just in case you need some.
10. The virus has no effect on children except those children it affects.
11. Animals are not affected, but there was a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…
12. Stay 2 metres away from tigers (see point 11).
13. You will have many symptoms if you get the virus, but you can also get symptoms without getting the virus, get the virus without having any symptoms or be contagious without having symptoms, or be non contagious with symptoms…it’s a sort of lucky/unlucky dip.
14. To help protect yourself you should eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand as it’s better not to go to the shops, unless you need toilet roll or a fence panel.
15. It’s important to get fresh air but don’t go to parks but go for a walk. But don’t sit down, except if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant or if you’re not old or pregnant but need to sit down. If you do sit down don’t eat your picnic, unless you’ve had a long walk, which you are/aren’t allowed to do if you’re old or pregnant.
16. Don’t visit old people but you have to take care of the old people and bring them food and medication.
17. If you are sick, you can go out when you are better but anyone else in your household can’t go out when you are better unless they need to go out.
18. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house. These deliveries are safe. But groceries you bring back to your house have to be decontaminated outside for 3 hours including frozen pizza.
19. You can’t see your older mother or grandmother, but they can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.
20. You are safe if you maintain the safe social distance when out but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.
21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours … or four hours…or six hours… I mean days, not hours. But it needs a damp environment. Or a cold environment that is warm and dry… in the air, as long as the air is not plastic.
22. Schools are closed so you need to home educate your children, unless you can send them to school because you’re not at home. If you are at home you can home educate your children using various portals and virtual class rooms, unless you have poor internet, or more than one child and only one computer, or you are working from home. Baking cakes can be considered maths, science or art. If you are home educating you can include household chores within their education. If you are home educating you can start drinking at 10am.
23. If you are not home educating children you can also start drinking at 10am.
24. The number of corona related deaths will be announced daily but we don’t know how many people are infected as they are only testing those who are almost dead to find out if that’s what they will die of. The people who die of corona who aren’t counted, won’t or will be counted but maybe not.
25. We should stay in locked down until the virus stops infecting people but it will only stop infecting people if we all get infected so it’s important we get infected and some don’t get infected.
26. You can join your neighbours for a street party and turn your music up for an outside disco and your neighbours won’t call the police. People in another street are allowed to call the police about your music whilst also having a party which you are allowed to call the police about.
27. No business will go down due to Coronavirus except those businesses that will go down due to Coronavirus.
Tidied the bedroom, long time coming and phoned a repair shop in Johnstone as my screen was cracked really badly and it was getting worse… affecting selfies 😱 I made an appointment for 3.30pm today as they are only allowing one person in the shop at any one time with an appointment so they know exactly what they need to have ready.
It reminded me of what we are actually going through right now. The strangest of times. We can’t mix with other people anymore without fear of catching something. A lot of our normal shops are closed. Starbucks drive thru looked very strange closed. I think with the recent good weather we’ve been on a wee bit of a holiday, out in the sun, getting stuff down, ticking off lists but reality hit me a wee bit being out.
Despite the numbers above sky news is now reporting a total of 26,072 deaths putting UK only behind Italy for number of deaths in Europe. This is with all the care home deaths added in…. Italy is at 26,872 so we are only 700 odd behind them and yet we are weeks behind them from the start of the virus. That’s very, very sad. 💔
Well, it started off lovely this morning but we couldn’t get moving. We watched the Overland Bound latest YouTube films and it spurred us into action! Not into housework though…
There’s been another 586 hospital deaths in the last 24 hours. The Telegraph are suggesting that the UK might be on track for the highest deaths in Europe as there are likely to be the same numbers of deaths outside hospitals as in them. We’re gonna have to do another food shopping soon. Just need to pick a supermarket and a time and decide when best to go.
Yeah what a way to start the day. Bras hanging over the radiator to dry since yesterday… pick it up to put it on…..
I get over it surprisingly quickly… after all it only cost me a fiver in Asda the other week when another one burst its underwire. Don’t worry… I have a back up…
So moving on to way more sensible conversation… we did our 20 mins of Spanish over coffee again.
Reckon the weather turns tomorrow, I have so many more photos taken today that I never shared as today’s blog is getting ridiculous!! Coronavirus reports 360 deaths which is the lowest rise in 4 weeks. Here’s hoping we are turning a corner and maybe able to get back to some form of “normal” soon. In the meantime I will keep taking photos…. 😆 thanks to anyone who gets this far. (Oh and special thanks to my lovely neighbour Claire for surprising me with a wee bottle of Nosecco tonight from her shopping trip!!!!)
So yeah… painting the fence today… well staining it with decking oil. I’m so knackered after it that I can’t remember this morning 🥴🤭😆 could be a short one….. we decided to start learning Spanish this morning over coffee. There’s a app called Duolingo that says just 5 mins a day can help you learn conversational languages. Maybe that’s 5 mins a day for the rest of your life but we did 20 mins today which says is the “intense” course. It was a good laugh and seems a really easy way to learn!
Craig es un hombre y Julie es una mujer
There’ll be no stopping us… 😆 we’ve been watching The Narcos Mexico series on tv at night so if they say man or woman we’ll no be needin’ the subtitles!! 🤣🤣🤣
It clouded over pretty early today and was windy so felt a lot colder than the last few days so i thought I’d potter and start staining some of the fence as it’s been looking pretty dry. It’s one of those jobs that you start of like Picasso and end up splatting fence stain all over everything. Craig told me to start on the back of the fence to see what it looked like… he comes out to check progress and yep I’m on the front. Forgot that important fact so the whole fence needs to be done that colour. Which it was gonna be anyway s’pose.
So for those of you who’ve seen our garden this is the smallest fence we have….. Craig is so on his own with the 146 footer 🤣🤣
Boris Johnson has moved back in to Downing St and starts back work tomorrow after his covid-19 illness. Deaths in the last 24 hours were at the lowest since 30th March at “only” 413 people. Said it before but so strange to think that… that’s still 413 people who’ve lost their lives. I think most have us have got used to this new normal. Going back to whatever the real normal is now is going to seem really strange. Craig and I have settled into a nice routine. Yeah we miss going out but we’re enjoying getting loads done. We are so lucky not to have been directly affected by this virus so far.
Had a nice WhatsApp video chat with mum and dad after painting the fence…. dad es un hombre y mum es una mujer …. 🤣🇪🇸🏴 so dad starts by asking if he can post mum over to us for a week or two of lockdown!!! They’re in good spirits and had calls with all the McGavin side today. He offers to send her second class and he had a fence spray painted machine that he could send with her. See what he did there?!?!?
More Mexico narcos with dinner… I so want that to be Mexican nachos…… promise no more fence tmro!!